We Cover Cambridge
Legionella Risk Assessment Cambridge
Guardian Hygiene Services are trusted providers of Legionella risk assessments in Cambridge. We are members of the Legionella Control Association and our technicians are all accredited by CHAS, Constructionline and SafeContractor, and the BSI.
Make sure your Cambridge premises are protected from dangerous Legionella bacteria with our comprehensive risk assessments. We will ensure your premises are safe and legally compliant, helping you avoid outbreaks of Legionnaires’ disease and legal action from authorities.
Get in touch or fill out a simple form to book your Legionella risk assessment as soon as possible.
Get in touch
Why You Must Get a Legionella Risk Assessment
Under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 from the Health and Safety Executive, a Legionella risk assessment is a legal requirement. If you are an employer, a building manager, a landlord, or in any way responsible for the health and safety of any premises, this is your responsibility.
You must ensure you have:
- Identified and assessed sources of risk in your water systems
- Taken steps to manage these risks
- Taken steps to prevent further risks
- Kept the correct records
What Happens If You Don’t Get a Legionella Risk Assessment
If you do not assess your hot and cold water systems for risk of Legionella bacteria, you risk the bacteria proliferating to a dangerous extent. When tiny droplets of water with large counts of the bacteria are released via aerosol and then breathed in, a series of illnesses can follow.
Legionnaires’ disease is the most severe of these, as a form of pneumonia that can lead to death. Not only can ignoring the risks of Legionella cause serious harm to others, but you also risk legal action if your water systems cause an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease and there is no evidence that you took suitable precautions to prevent it.
What Water Systems Promote Legionella Growth
Legionella is a waterborne bacteria that is found in both natural and purpose-built water systems. It only becomes a danger if it is allowed to grow and spread under certain conditions, and is then released via aerosol. The aerosol release can be in the form of spray, mist, or splashing from taps.
In particular, this affects:
- Hot and cold water taps
- Shower heads
- Air conditioning units
- Medical equipment like dentist water lines
- Spa pools
- Cooling towers
However, any water system that is regularly under these conditions is at-risk:
- Warm temperature: Legionella bacteria can proliferate when water temperature is between 20°C and 45°C. Temperatures between 35°C and 45°C are optimal.
- Stagnancy: Legionella bacteria favours stagnant water that isn’t regularly flushed, which can be a problem for cold water storage tanks.
- Nutrition: Legionella bacteria feeds on other bacteria as well as sediment and scale, all of which can commonly be found in hot and cold water systems.
Our Comprehensive Legionella Risk Assessments
Guardian Hygiene Services are the trusted experts when it comes to Legionella services. Our technicians are all trained, accredited, and fully up-to-date with current legislation. We can come to your Cambridge property to perform a comprehensive Legionella risk assessment in line with Government documents ACOP L8 and HSG274.
Our assessments are a mixture of physical and administrative checks that cover everything you need:
- An inspection of your entire hot and cold water systems
- Identification of areas or systems with the potential for aerosol release
- Water temperature checks with UKAS-approved calibrated thermometers
- Samples taking for Legionella testing in a UKAS-certified laboratory
- A full review of any current or previous Legionella assessment records
- An overview of your current Legionella management practices after consultation with all persons involved in health and safety
Take Action Before Legionella Becomes a Problem
It is vital that you ensure your water systems are protected from the dangers that Legionella bacterial proliferation poses. Protect the health and safety of your occupants and avoid legal action with our trusted expertise. Our comprehensive, professional services cover everything you need to do and will give you the greatest peace of mind.
Contact us or fill out a form to book a Legionella risk assessment in Cambridge today.